The No waste Challenge announced its 85 shortlisted nominees for the 2021 edition. The challenge which was organized by the international organization What Design Can Do, partnered up with Kenya Climate Innovation Center to enable designers and creatives in Kenyan to participate.
Backed up by reputable organizations such as IKEA, Plastic Smart Cities, Worldwide Fund For Nature (WWF), STBY, and Impact Hub, the No Waste Challenge was created to provide a panacea to the environmental problems caused by waste & consumerism.
Its 2021’s edition made a call for submissions in February this year and 10 out of the 85 shortlisted nominees are Kenyans. They include:
- No Waste Macadamia Food Design: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/no-waste-macadamia-food design/
- Nairobi City Water: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/nairobi-city-water/
- Project Circleg: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/project-circleg/
- Nyungu Afrika: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/nyungu-afrika/
- Wastewater to Green Parks: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/wastewater-to-green-parks/
- Vision 4 Waste: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/vision-4-waste/
- Refill to Reduce Plastic Waste: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/refill-to-reduce-plastic-waste/
- Diaper recycling technique: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/diaper-recylcing-technique/
- Pfand Pesa: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/pfand-pesa/
- DiscoverBrands 3D Printing: https://nowaste.whatdesigncando.com/projects/discoverbrands-3d-printing/
All the submitted applications were thoroughly vetted by 105 experts organized in multiple selection committees around the globe. According to the organizers, the criteria used to access applications were impact, creativity & design, feasibility, and scalability.
The nominees will now get to refine their entries and an international jury will review their projects. 16 winners are set to be announced on 15th July 2021. The 16 finalists will be awarded €10.000 in funding and be launched into a development program co-created by Impact Hub. Click here to view the nominees’ projects.
Congratulations to all the nominees!