Managing oily skin can be a daunting task. However, did you know that you need to manage oily skin and frequent breakouts with a proper skincare routine?
Oily skin is mainly caused by overproduction of sebum, hormonal changes, stress, dehydration, etc. High sebum production makes the skin prone to acne.
Below, we reveal 9 practical tips to help you put together a routine that supports you in managing your skin’s oiliness:
- Opt for a Salicylic Acid, AHA/BHA gel cleanser that helps remove and break up excess sebum build-up coating the skin.
- Use sebum balancing ingredients such as Niacinamide, Green Tea (ECGC).
- Look for antibacterial ingredients that address acne-causing bacteria like Tea Tree oil, Benzoyl Peroxide.
- Use oil-absorbing ingredients like clay masks to mop up excess oil.
- Purchase products with ingredients that help stimulate cell turnover and prevent excess sebum from being trapped beneath shedding layers leading to closed comedones.
- Look for follicular exfoliants such as Salicylic Acid, AHA/BHA blends, or Sulfur treatments that exfoliate and absorb oils.
- Avoid layering too many products.
- Look for lightweight liquid gels moisturizers and prevent overloading your skin with fatty acids and occlusive.
- Avoid high in oils SPFs, makeup, and face oils to allow your skin access your level of oiliness at several hour intervals and throughout the day so you can understand your skin better.